Variable Feast Dates
Variable Feast Dates:
- 'Septuagesima' (70th) and 'Sexagesima' (60th) mark the third and second last Sundays before Lent. They also mark the approximate number of days until Easter.
- 'Shrove' derives from an old-English word meaning to confess sins.
- Maundy Thursday derives from the Latin 'Mandatum' or mandate, referring to Jesus command to love one another in John 13:34.
- The term 'Rogation' as used in Rogation Sunday derives from a Latin word meaning to "request" or "beseech".
- 'Whit' as in Whit Sunday or Pentecost (50th) refers to the White garments which were worn by those who were being baptised at this time.