Statistics and Forecasts for World Religions: 1800-2025:
The graphs and data below are based on the Status of Global Mission issued by Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary.
Totals in Millions
|Chinese Folk Religionists||310||380||227||428||433||418|
- In 200 years (from 1800-2000), the world population increased more than 6 times, but the Christian Population increased faster over the same period (over 9 times).
- For the period 2000-2013, the figures in point 1. above equate to an average annual growth rate of 1.18% v 1.32%. The corresponding growth rate for Islam is 1.84%, making it the religion with the highest growth rate over the period.
- As a percentage of the World Total, the Christian Population increased from 22.7% to 32.4%, with a projected figure of 33.8% for 2025.
- For the period 2000-2013, Christianity grew fastest in Africa, with a rate of 2.68% p.a. The lowest growth rate was in Europe, at 0.22% p.a.
- By 2025, the African continent is expected to surpass Latin America as the Continent with a most numbers of Christians (forecast number: 688 Million).